Tuesday 25 June 2013

Home


It is very nice to be home. And it's only when you're back that you realise what you missed while away. Chris. My house. Friends. Family. London. The other 80 per cent of my wardrobe. Gardening. The London Bulgarian Choir. Being vegetarian. Yoga. Phoning people. Strong coffee. Good TV. Saturday Guardian. Irony. Book group. My hairdresser. Silliness. Heels. 

Three days after I land my cousin Veronica's street has its Big Lunch party. It's a gloriously sunny day and I feel a giddy sense of joy to be back in south London. Indeed, I manage to indulge quite a few of the above in one afternoon… 

Kicking off with the sounds of South London Samba, here I am with Vron's son Ollie.
Here singing with Dessi, Veronica and James, of the London Bulgarian Choir. 
And Chris gives it his all, alongside Wiggo. 

A few weeks on it feels strange to still be in one place. I miss the fun of researching amazing things to do, of moving on to the next adventure, of being spoiled by friends and family. I miss the good weather – my tan is fading fast. I miss being able to put off practical chores that aren't a priority – I now have a crown on that tooth that fell out. I miss people being at my beck and call – everyone's busy... so unfair. What makes me feel most churlish, however, is being broke and having to face reality… find work. And that's where I'm going to leave Series One of Love Where You Go

In classic Cate 'Lady of the List' Langmuir fashion, I'd like to sign off with some food for thought on the packing front...

3 things most used:
Sarong – works as dressing gown, beach wrap, picnic rug and more
Walking boots – bulky but essential accessory to adventure
Kindle – lightweight Lonely Planet-loaded stand-in for guide-book tomes

3 things that proved unexpectedly useful:
Camera tripod – avoids that self-timer 'arm in the frame' look
NUJ card – ensures free entry to most galleries and museums
Dental repair kit – useful stop-gap until returning home to NHS

3 things I forgot:
Sunhat – sunburnt scalp meant buying a naff one in desperation
Trainers – sorely missed on light walks and sightseeing forays
Cagoule – packing for sun one forgets it does occasionally rain

3 things I could have left out:
Strappy sandals – too few nights out clubbing
Make-up – Touche Eclat redundant with a tan
Jeans – too tight after all that generous hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment